Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Second Thursday of Advent: On the way

Readings: Is 41, 13-20; Ps 145; Mt 11:11-15.

I have almost finished my first term. I write 'almost', because I have to pass the exams and then I will be able to say that this is the end, but not yet. Now I am on the way to get to this goal. There are a lot of very similar situations in our life. We are always on the way trying to achieve something what seems very valuable. The purpose and awareness of its realization mobilizes us and give us strength.

It is exactly the same with our faith. We are called by God to reach the kingdom of heaven. The destination is defined very clearly. We just need to know how to get there. The answer to this question can be found in today's gospel. Jesus says that the kingdom of heaven has been taken by force by the violent (cf. Mt 11:12). But these words about 'force' and 'violence' don't sound good: does it mean that we have to be violent and we need to use force?

A violent person is very determined to achieve his goal. The kingdom of heaven should be the most important goal in our life. Sometimes this may be very difficult, because others can't understand it. Sometimes we may be also rejected by others. Nevertheless today's gospel emphasizes the dynamic aspect of our faith and encourage us to be active. Churches and our homes are not the only spaces for our faith. The space of our faith is our life.

"I, the Lord your God, hold your right hand; it is I who say to you, 'Fear not, I will help you' " (Is 41:13).

No comments:

Post a Comment